If you’re looking for a cozy and comforting meal that’s both healthy and easy to make, this sweet potato chili is sure to satisfy. Packed with plant-based protein, fiber-rich veggies, warming spices, and the natural sweetness of sweet potatoes, this vegetarian chili ticks all the boxes for a nutritious and delicious dish.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Wholesome ingredients: This chili features nutrient-dense plant-based ingredients like sweet potatoes, beans, tomatoes, and onions that contribute to a balanced diet.
- Easy preparation: With just one pot required for cooking, minimal chopping needed for prep work,
and straightforward steps to follow in the recipe instructions,this recipe is simple enough for novice home cooks.
- Versatile: You can customize this chili by adjusting the level of spice according to your preference or adding extra veggies or toppings.
- Leftovers-friendly: The leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in your fridge/freezer or eaten as next-day meals.
Here’s what you’ll need:
For The Chili:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large sweet potato peeled & chopped into bite-sized cubes (around 3 cups)
- 1/2 red bell pepper seeded & diced
- One medium zucchini cubed small
- One medium carrot cubed small
- One cup fresh spinach chopped
– Two cans black beans rinsed & drained ,15 oz each can(Can use chickpeas instead),or any other type of bean
– Salt& Pepper
For The Seasoning:
– Two teaspoons smoked paprika
– One teaspoon ground cumin
– half teaspoon dried oregano leaves
– Fresh cilantro,chopped(for topping)
– Sliced avocado
– Fresh lime juice
How To Make This Recipe
- Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat and add olive oil, onion and garlic . Stir until fragrant.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except for spinach) into the pot, along with seasoning blend (smoked paprika, cumin, oregano), salt, pepper
- Stir all ingredients to combine and then bring to boil .
- Reduce to low heat/simmer on stove , cover with lid.
- Cook for about 25-30 minutes or until sweet potatoes are fork-tender
- Add in chopped fresh spinach , stirring constantly until wilted.
Serve hot with optional toppings such as fresh cilantro,chopped avocado,and/or freshly squeezed lime juice
Cooking time and temperature guidelines
Cooking Time: 30-45 minutes(minimal)
Temperature: Low Heat/Simmer on Stove
– Use canned beans instead of dried ones if you’re short on time
– Choose sweet potatoes that are firm and not too big
– Keep an eye out for burning while cooking by regularly stirring your chili
If you prefer a milder flavor profile this recipe still works without Paprika .
Do not skip sauteing onions and garlic as it will enhance the flavor of chili .Make sure all veggies have been chopped roughly equal size so they cook evenly .
Recommended Tools to Make this Recipe
Large Soup Pot( For Saute)
To sum up: This hearty vegetarian Sweet Potato Chili is packed full of fibre-rich vegetables & protein-packed legumes combined with warming spices making it perfect for a healthy weeknight dinner idea!
Can I make this recipe without a slow cooker?
Yes, you can easily adapt this recipe to cook on the stovetop or in an Instant Pot if you don’t have a slow cooker. For the stovetop method, simply sauté the onions and peppers in a large pot until softened, then add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 45-60 minutes until the sweet potatoes are tender. For an Instant Pot version of this recipe, follow your device’s instructions for cooking chili.
Is this chili freezer-friendly?
Yes! This recipe is perfect for freezing ahead of time so that you can quickly reheat it when needed. Simply let it cool completely before transferring it into an airtight container or freezer bag and store in your freezer for up to three months.
Can I adjust the spice level in this chili?
Absolutely! If you’re sensitive to spice or serving to someone who is sensitive to spice, reduce the amount of chipotle powder used and skip adding any additional cayenne pepper at all. On the other hand, if you want more heat than indicated in this recipe calls for feel free to add extra of either chipotle powder or cayenne pepper (or both) until desired level of spiciness is reached.