Warm and Flavorful Vegetarian South Indian Soup Recipe
Looking for a hot and flavorful soup to enjoy during cold weather? Look no further! This vegetarian South Indian soup recipe is the perfect dish to keep you warm and satisfied. It’s spicy, contains immune-boosting Vitamin C rich veggies, and can be made with whatever veggies you have in your crisper or pantry.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Uses healthy and nutritious ingredients that are easy to find.
- Simple instructions make it easy even for novice cooks.
- Perfect comfort food for cold weather.
You will need:
– Coconut oil
– Mustard seeds
– Curry leaves
– Ginger-garlic paste
– Green chilies
– Chopped vegetables (broccoli, butternut squash, carrots)
– Tomato puree
How To Make This Recipe
- Start by heating coconut oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Add mustard seeds into the pan until they pop, then add curry leaves followed by sauteed onions until lightly browned or caramelized.
- Next up is ginger garlic paste (sauté for 30 secs).
- Then add chopped vegetables (broccoli,butternut squash And Carrots).
- Sauté them on high flame for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.(Add some salt at this stage.)
6.Remove from high heat after five minutes; decrease the flame, cover with lid cook veggies till soft (about 10mins approx).
7.Once Veggies are cooked correctly, add tomato puree & mix it well then cook it for an additional minute.
8.Add turmeric powder & mix again.Let simmer again for two mins as turmeric needs time to release its aroma/flavour when cooked.
9.Sufficiently add water or Vegetable Stock (2 cups are enough), mix everything together covering with a lid and let simmer for 10mins on low flame.
10.After the ten minutes, check if vegetables are cooked well, then turn off heat let it cool down for few minutes.
11.Transfer to a blender and pulse until smooth; an immersion blender may also be used
12.Pour soup mixture back into the pot and reheat over low heat.
Cooking Time & Temperature Guidelines
- Prep time: 15 mins
- Cook time:30 mins
- For added protein, you can add cooked chickpeas or lentils to this soup.
- Make recipe vegan by using vegetable oil instead of coconut oil.
You could enjoy these additional seasoning options:
– A pinch of cayenne pepper for extra spice
– Add lemon juice to brighten up flavors
This soup stores well in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days. Reheat before serving.
Recommended Tools To Make This Recipe
To make this recipe easier, I recommend having these tools on hand:
1. Blender – For mixing all ingredients smoothly
2. Pot – For cooking vegetables and making delicious hot soups
To sum up: With its comforting spicy flavors, creamy broth & nutrient-rich veggies – our vegetarian South Indian soup is sure to satisfy your cravings while providing your body plenty essential nutrients with each spoonful!
Sure! Here are three popular FAQs with answers for “Delicious Vegetarian South Indian Soup Recipes for a Wholesome Meal”:
What makes South Indian soups unique?
A: South Indian soups often have a distinct flavor profile that comes from the use of spices and ingredients commonly found in Southern India, such as coconut, curry leaves, tamarind, and mustard seeds. They also tend to be lighter in texture compared to Western-style cream-based soups.
Can I make these recipes vegan-friendly?
A: Yes, many of these soup recipes are already vegan-friendly or can easily be modified by substituting dairy- and meat-based ingredients with plant-based alternatives. For example, you can use coconut milk instead of heavy cream or vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
How do I adjust the spice level to my liking?
A: You can adjust the spiciness of these soups according to your preference by adding more or less chili peppers or red pepper flakes when cooking. Another way is to serve them with a dollop of plain yogurt or sour cream on top to balance out the heat if it’s too much for you. Additionally, serving bread like naan bread will help soften up some spice flavours