Vegetarian Udon Recipe
This vegetarian udon recipe is the perfect combination of quick, easy and nourishing. It offers a burst of flavor that will leave you feeling satisfied, while also being highly versatile so that you can use whatever vegetables you have on hand to make it your own. The specific blend of broccoli, butternut squash, carrots and frozen green beans works exceptionally well in this dish.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Versatile – allowing for any vegetables to be included
- Quick and easy
- Hearty and satisfying
For the Broth:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- A piece of ginger (~2 inches), peeled & grated (about 2 tablespoons)
- 6 cups vegetable broth/stock (use gluten-free if necessary)
- Salt & black pepper to taste
For the Soup:
(Note: adjust amounts based on personal preferences)
– 4 oz dry udon noodles (~113 g)
– Half a medium-sized head of broccoli cut into bite-size pieces
– Half cup of frozen green beans
– One small size diced carrot
– Quarter cup cubed butternut squash
Green onions sliced thin
Red chili flakes
How To Make This Recipe:
Step 1 – Preparing Your Broth:
- In a large pot over medium heat add olive oil.
- Add onion and garlic stirring occasionally until soft(translucent).
- Stir in grated ginger root; cook till fragrant(subtle smell), about one minute.
- Pour Vegetable broth(vegan/gluten-free), bring it to boil then lower heat.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Simmer the broth for about 10 minutes or until fragrant.
Step 2 – Preparing Your Soup:
- Cook udon noodles according to package instructions, Drain them in a separate bowl.
- While the noodles are cooking, add prepped vegetables into your hot broth and let cook until they are tender.
- Once everything is cooked, divide the cooked Udon Noodles base among four equal-sized bowls
- Pour vegetable soup on top of each portion equally to ensure all bowls get an equal workload of veggies.
6.Top with desired toppings like sliced green onion, sesame seeds, red chili flakes and coriander leaves
Cooking time and temperature guidelines:
- Prep Time: Wash & cut vegetables – 15 mins
- Total Time: Under 30 Minutes
- Cut small pieces so that all tenderness comes out through cooking process evenly
- To impart depth of flavor you can saute/fry prepped veggies in oil till half done before adding it to your soup mixture.
### Seasoning Options:
The seasoning possibilities are endless for this recipe! Here are some ideas:
– Tamari or soy sauce for saltiness
– Sriracha sauce for heat
– Lime juice or rice vinegar for acidity
### Recipe Tips:
– If using gluten-free diet then always use GF Udon Noodles.
– Don’t shy away from adding a variety of additional veggie items as per availability!
#### Recommended Tools:
## To Sum Up:
This vegetarian udon soup recipe is a crowd pleaser because it offers heartiness despite its ease (under thirty minutes!), vegan-friendliness and flexibility for any vegetable combination you prefer depending on your pantry/fridge/freezer stock.
Q: Can I use any other type of noodles instead of udon?
A: Yes, you can swap out the udon noodles for another type of noodle that you prefer or have on hand. Soba noodles, rice noodles, or even spaghetti would work well in this recipe.
Q: Can I make this recipe gluten-free?
A: Yes, to make this recipe gluten-free, simply use gluten-free tamari or soy sauce instead of regular soy sauce. Also be sure to choose 100% buckwheat soba noodles rather than wheat-based soba or udon noodles.
Q: Can I adjust the spice level in this recipe?
A: Absolutely! If you prefer your food less spicy, reduce or omit the red pepper flakes. Alternatively, if you like it extra spicy, add more red pepper flakes or chopped fresh chili peppers to taste.