If you love comforting, flavorful casseroles but want to skip the meat, this hearty chestnut casserole recipe is sure to satisfy. Packed with veggies and protein-rich chestnuts, it’s perfect for chilly nights or anytime you need a cozy meal.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Rich and savory flavor
- Loaded with nutritious veggies and plant-based protein
- Perfect for cold weather comfort
- 4 cups of cooked brown rice
- 1 can of chestnuts, drained and roughly chopped
- 3 cups of mixed vegetables (such as carrots, green beans, kale)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
How To Make This Recipe:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large skillet over medium heat add olive oil when hot add onions until softened.
- Add garlic into the skillet stir frequently about one minute .
- Add mixed vegetables into the skillet cook until veg is softened then drain excess liquid.
- Once the vegetable mixture has cooled slightly mix in chestnuts..
6.In casserole dish spread cooked brown rice on an even layer at bottom using fork.
7.Add vegetable mixture on top making sure it’s evenly distributed .Mix well!
8.Bake in preheated oven for about half an hour until everything is heated through.(Test part should read least temperature of from inserted food thermometer reaches165 degree F or above.)
Cooking Time & Temperature Guidelines:
The cooking time takes approximately around thirty minutes while its temperature ranges between375°F (190°C).
To save time by using canned or packaged pre-cooked ingredients that are readily available,frozen vegetables work perfectly.When baking ensure to check frequently for any over-cooking.
Spices such as oregano, thyme or rosemary can be used to give the casserole more flavor.
- You could also make this vegetarian recipe vegan by leaving out the cheese.
- This recipe is great when reheated in the microwave oven
- Offer a simple green salad on the side with extra lemon goodness to balance all those flavours!
Recommended Tools To Make This Recipe:
Baking dish, skillet pan for vegetables preparation
To Sum Up:
This hearty chestnut casserole is an ideal alternative to meat-based casseroles. It’s easy to make using readily available ingredients and offers rich flavors and satisfying texture. The mix of veggies, chestnuts, onion and garlic adds nutritionally-dense element,and can provide you with plenty of energy throughout your day.
Q1: Is this recipe vegan-friendly?
A1: Yes, the Hearty Chestnut Casserole Recipe is vegan and contains no animal-derived ingredients.
Q2: Can I make any substitutions to this recipe?
A2: Yes, there are many possible substitutions that can be made to this recipe based on your dietary needs or preferences. For example, you could use a different type of plant-based milk instead of almond milk or swap the Brussels sprouts for another green vegetable like kale or spinach.
Q3: How long does it take to prepare and cook this casserole?
A3: The preparation time for the Hearty Chestnut Casserole Recipe is approximately 30 minutes, and baking time in the oven ranges from 35-45 minutes depending on your desired level of doneness. Allow an additional few minutes for cooling before serving.