Are you a fan of spicy, flavorful dishes? Look no further than this delicious vegetarian tom yum fried rice recipe from AddM3. Packed with fresh and healthy ingredients, this dish is sure to become a staple in your recipe collection.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 small Thai chilies, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 2 stalks lemongrass (tender parts only), finely chopped*
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- zest of 1 lime (about 1 teaspoon)
- juice of one lime (about three tablespoons), divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups cooked jasmine rice**
- handful basil leaves for garnish
- In a large wok or skillet over medium heat, melt the coconut oil.
Pro-tip: Use a heavy-bottomed wok for best results.
Add in the onion and garlic; stir-fry for about five minutes until lightly browned.
Next, add in the Thai chilies (if using), lemongrass, ginger, lime zest, salt and pepper to taste; stir well.
Stir in four cups cooked jasmine rice into the mixture above.
Squeeze two tablespoons worth of lime juice all over everything then give it another good toss so that everything is warmed through evenly.
Serve hot in bowls topped with chopped basil leaves as garnish!
Cooking time and temperature guidelines:
Preparation time: Approximately ten minutes.
Cooking time: Approximately fifteen minutes.
Total Time Required : Approximately twenty-five minutes.
- For best results use leftover cold rice which separates better once heated up again compared freshly cooked hot rice which can become sticky.
- Don’t overcrowd the wok or skillet to ensure everything heats evenly and quickly
- To make this recipe vegan, substitute coconut oil for butter.
- Feel free to add additional vegetables such as bell peppers or carrots.
- Adjust the amount of Thai chilies depending on your spice level preference.
Recommended Tools to Make this Recipe
- Heavy-bottomed wok
- Large skillet
To sum up:
This vegetarian tom yum fried rice recipe boasts bold flavors and a satisfying texture. Perfectly spiced with Thai chilies and flavored with ginger, lemongrass, lime zest, and basil leaves. Using leftover cold jasmine rice makes it a quick-and-easy stir-fry dish that you will love!
Here are 3 popular FAQs with answers for ‘Taste the Heat: Vegetarian Tom Yum Fried Rice Recipe’:
Q1. What is Tom Yum Fried Rice and how is it made?
A1: Tom Yum Fried rice is a Thai style fried rice dish that incorporates the flavors of spicy, sweet, sour, and savory into one delicious meal. To make this recipe vegetarian or vegan, you can use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth and omit any meat or seafood typically included in traditional recipes. This specific recipe calls for ingredients like mushrooms, bell peppers, lime juice, chili paste and coconut flakes to create an authentic and flavourful taste.
Q2. Can I substitute brown rice for white rice in this recipe?
A2: Yes! You can easily substitute brown rice for white rice if you prefer a healthier option. The cooking time may be slightly longer to fully cook the brown rice before adding in other ingredients.
Q3. Is this recipe suitable for individuals on a low-carb diet?
A3: Unfortunately no; as traditional Thai dishes rely heavily on carbohydrates such as jasmine/white/brown rice alongside noodles which are often high in carb content as well.Instead we recommend looking at our portfolio of healthy meals , there are great options available which cater specifically to those following diets such Low-carbs/Keto/Gluten-Free etc..