Are you looking for a hearty and flavorful vegan soup recipe? Look no further than this delicious Moroccan-inspired soup!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- One can of chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- One can of diced tomatoes
- Half teaspoon cumin powder
- Half teaspoon coriander seed powder
-Salt to taste
-Dried apricots or raisins (optional)
-Cilantro Leaves for garnish
Directions / Preparation Instructions
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, ginger and sauté until fragrant.
- Stir in chopped carrots and cook until tender (for about five minutes).
- Pour in the vegetable broth ,and add in chickpeas,diced tomatoes along with all other spices mentioned above.Simmer it for about fifteen minutes.
- Finally top off with some dried apricots or raisins(optional) along with cilantro leaves.
Serve hot as is or over cooked rice!
Cooking Time & Temperature Guidelines
Total Cooking Time: Approximately thirty-five minutes
Cooking Temperature: Medium heat
- Be sure to grate your own fresh ginger versus buying pre-grated – this will lend more flavor!
- For added protein serve over grains such as quinoa or brown rice.
Add additional spices such as Paprika,cinnamon,saffron etc.,to suit your palate!
Recommended Tools to Make This Recipe:
This Moroccan soup is a delicious and nutritious plant-based meal option that is packed full of flavor. The spice blend adds an exotic twist to the soup, making it a unique and memorable dish. Be sure to try out my pro-tips and seasoning options for added personalization in your cooking!
Can I use a different type of lentil in this soup?
Yes, you can substitute green or brown lentils for red lentils in this recipe. Keep in mind that the cooking time may be longer with these types of lentils, so you may need to adjust the amount of liquid and cooking time accordingly.
Can I make this soup ahead of time?
Yes! You can make the soup up to 2 days ahead of time and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheat gently on the stovetop over low heat until heated through.
Can I freeze leftovers?
Yes, this soup freezes well! Let it cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container or freezer bag (leave some headspace for expansion). Freeze for up to 3 months. To reheat, thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then warm on low heat on the stovetop until heated through.
I hope these answers help!