If you’re looking for a flavorful and nutritious vegetarian dish, then this Persian-inspired recipe is perfect for you. This savory blend of spices, veggies, and herbs will transport your taste buds to the exotic land of Persia.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Bursting with flavors: With an assortment of aromatic spices like cumin, turmeric, and cinnamon combined with tangy tomatoes and fresh herbs like cilantro and parsley.
- Nutritious: This vegetarian recipe is high in protein thanks to chickpeas while also being rich in fiber from the vegetables.
- Easy to make: The whole dish comes together quickly using simple ingredients that are easy to find at most grocery stores.
For this recipe, you’ll need:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- Salt and black pepper
-1 red bell pepper chopped
-4 medium tomatoes peeledand chopped (fresh or canned)
-2 cans chickpeas drained and rinsed
-¼ cup currants or raisins (optional)
-Mint leaves torn into small pieces
How To Make This Recipe
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Add onions; cook until softened but don’t let them brown. Stir occasionally for about five minutes.
- Add garlic, cumin powder,cinnamon powder,turmeric,,and cook about one minute more stirring constantly; season with salt & Black pepper if desired.
- Add red bell peppers,stir well until well coated with spice mixture,and then cook another two minutes until just tender.Add tomatoes bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat to low.Cover and simmer for 20 minutes,stirring occasionally, until the tomato mixture has thickened and becomes aromatic.
- Stir in chickpeas,together with currants (if using); continue to cook, covered until heated through.
- Season with additional salt & black pepper as desired.
- Add cilantro,mint leaves, mix well,
- Simmer uncovered for a few more minutes.
Cooking Time and Temperature Guidelines
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 45 min
- Use canned tomatoes if you don’t have fresh ones on hand
- For an extra vegetable boost, try adding some chopped zucchini or eggplant
Feel free to adjust the spice level according to your preferences – add chili powder or red pepper flakes for a spicier kick!
## Recipe Tips
- Don’t let the onions brown – this will result in a different flavor profile than what is intended
- If using dried herbs instead of fresh herbs make sure you reduce quantities by about three quarters.
## Recommended Tools to Make this Recipe
A large saucepan along with a sharp knife and cutting board are essential tools needed for making this recipe.
To Sum Up:
Savor The Flavor Of Persia With This Delicious Vegetarian Dish Full Of Veggies And Chickpeas Featuring Aromatic Spices Like Cumin, Turmeric And Crushed Tomatoes!
Q: Are these recipes difficult to make?
A: Not at all! The recipes in ‘Savor the Flavor of Persia’ are easy to follow and don’t require any specialized equipment or hard-to-find ingredients. Many of them can be made with pantry staples that you may already have on hand. Plus, each recipe comes with clear instructions and helpful tips to ensure success.
Q: Do Persian vegetarian dishes take a long time to prepare?
A: While some traditional Persian dishes can be quite labor-intensive, the recipes in this cookbook have been adapted for modern home cooks and are designed with ease and convenience in mind. Most recipes take no more than an hour from start to finish, including prep time.
Q: Do these recipes cater to different dietary preferences?
A: Yes! All the recipes in ‘Savor the Flavor of Persia’ are vegetarian and many are naturally vegan or can easily be modified to suit a vegan diet – just substitute dairy products like yogurt or cheese with plant-based alternatives. Additionally, most of them feature gluten-free options or suggestions for ingredient substitutions if needed.