Looking for a hearty and flavorful dish that’s perfect for vegetarian soul food? This healthy fried cabbage recipe is a must-try! Packed with nutrient-rich ingredients, this dish can be enjoyed as a main course or side.
- 1 head of green cabbage, cored and chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil or coconut oil. Once hot, add the diced onions and sauté until they turn translucent.
- Add in the minced garlic and stir constantly so it doesn’t burn.
- Then add in your chopped cabbage a little at a time until all of it is added to the pot.
- Keep stirring occasionally until your cabbage has browned nicely on all sides (around 20 minutes).
- Season with salt and black pepper according to your preferences.
Cooking Time & Temperature Guidelines:
This recipe takes around 20 minutes of active cooking time on medium heat.
- Be sure not to overcrowd the pan when adding in the cabbage.
- Use high-quality olive oil or coconut oil for best results.
- Add extra spices like paprika or red chili flakes if you want more flavor kick.
This recipe calls only for salt and black pepper seasoning, but feel free to experiment with other seasonings like smoked paprika, cumin powder etc., depending upon individual preferences.
Recommended Tools to Make this Recipe:
All you need is just one skillet!
To sum up: This fried cabbage recipe offers an easy way to enjoy delicious vegetarian soul food without sacrificing any flavor – give it warm welcome at mealtime today!
Q1: What makes this cabbage recipe healthy?
A1: This fried cabbage recipe is considered healthy because it’s made using wholesome, plant-based ingredients that provide a variety of important nutrients. For example, the dish features cabbage which is low in calories and high in fiber, vitamin K, vitamin C and other essential micronutrients. Additionally, instead of using unhealthy saturated fats like butter or lard as many traditional soul food recipes do, this recipe uses heart-healthy olive oil to achieve the same crispiness.
Q2: Can I make this fried cabbage recipe vegan?
A2: Absolutely! This vegetarian fried cabbage recipe can be easily modified to make it completely vegan by simply substituting coconut sugar (or another sweetener) for honey if desired. You could also use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth or a similar substitute. That being said please check all ingredient labels carefully to ensure that they are truly vegan friendly.
Q3: How should I serve this fried cabbage?
A3: There are several ways to serve this healthy fried cabbage dish depending on your personal preferences – you can enjoy it as a side dish alongside traditional southern fare such as black eyed peas or cornbread; alternatively you could combine it with some protein-rich tofu cubes or seitan strips over rice for a filling main course meal. Lastly leftovers can make an amazing base for stir-fries and soups later throughout the week!