Looking for a delicious and easy-to-make vegetarian spaghetti recipe? Look no further! This recipe combines hearty mushrooms with tangy tomatoes, savory onions, and fragrant garlic to create an incredibly flavorful dish that’s perfect for meatless meals. Here’s why you’ll love it:
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s vegetarian-friendly.
- It’s packed with flavor from fresh herbs, spices, and veggies.
- It’s quick and easy to make.
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms (white or cremini), sliced
- salt & pepper to taste
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 cans whole peeled tomatoes (28 oz each)
How To Make This Recipe
Step One: Prepare the Spaghetti
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil over high heat. Add spaghetti pasta and cook until al dente according to package instructions. Drain the pasta once finished cooking.
Step Two: Prepare the Sauce
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add diced onions and minced garlic to the pan; sauté until they become translucent in color.
- Add mushroom slices into the pan along with some seasoning such as salt & pepper along with optional red chili flakes; Sauté all together until they cook down substantially(10 min).
- Crush two cans of whole peeled tomatoes by hands directly into a separate bowl till only small pieces remain(juice will come out automatically). Then add it into your same pan cook everything on low-medium flame at least till next hour covered(primary goal would be mashing your tomato chunks properly)
5.Simmer for another half hour stirring occasionally.Check seasoning one last time and add if necessary.
Step Three: Combine the Spaghetti and Sauce
- Add the cooked spaghetti to the large saucepan with tomato sauce over low-medium heat.
- Toss everything together in your pan, making sure that all of the pasta is coated evenly with the sauce.
- Simmer for another 5-10 minutes until heated through completely.
Cooking Time And Temperature Guidelines
The total cooking time for this recipe takes around one hour and a half(90 min) while at least an hour will go into mashing tomatoes properly so be cautious about it.Although seasoning can adjust accordingly but make sure to cook till you see proper texture else get ready to bitter taste dish .Maintain medium-low flame throughout cooking.
- Use fresh herbs such as basil or parsley towards end before serving, they will surely enhance flavor
- For even more protein, add some cooked chickpeas towards end along with spaghetti
Apart from traditional Italian seasoning options which we have already added (like oregano,basil,dried thyme),you can try adding ground cumin,cinnamon also adding grated cheese always compliments well too!
- You can use any type of mushrooms you like – white mushroom,cremini or portabella they are all good!
- If tomatoes are sour by nature,you may add sugar(optional)just a tsp or two,towards end to balance sweetness.
Recommended Tools To Make This Recipe
Large pot,strainer,saucepan,lid,knife,chopping board:
To make this recipe truly mouth-watering using a non-stick sauté pans would do great job
This vegetarian spaghetti recipe is packed full of flavor thanks to its hearty blend of veggies and spices;It’s easy-to-make and perfect for meatless meals!
Q1: What can I substitute for meat in vegetarian spaghetti recipes?
A1: There are many delicious and nutritious options for replacing meat in vegetarian spaghetti recipes. Try using crumbled tofu or tempeh, lentils, mushrooms, or textured vegetable protein (TVP) as a meat substitute. You can also create a “meaty” texture by using chopped walnuts or pecans.
Q2: Can I make vegetarian spaghetti sauce without tomatoes?
A2: Yes! While tomato-based sauces are common in traditional spaghetti dishes, there are plenty of alternatives that do not include tomatoes. For example, you could try making pesto with fresh basil and pine nuts or roasted red pepper sauce with garlic and olive oil.
Q3: How do I keep vegetarian spaghetti from becoming too dry?
A3: To prevent your pasta dish from drying out, be sure to add enough moisture to the recipe. Consider using canned diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, or cooking wine to give your dish extra liquid. You could also add additional olive oil or butter for richness and flavor. Finally, avoid overcooking the pasta and serve immediately after combining it with the sauce to ensure that it stays moist and flavorful.