This hearty, flavorful soup is a delicious vegetarian dish that’s perfect for cold winter nights. The star ingredient in this recipe is tsampa, which is roasted barley flour that adds a nutty flavor to the soup.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Rich and flavorful: This soup has a complex mix of flavors from vegetables, herbs, lentils and spices.
- Nutritious and Healthy: It’s packed with plant-based protein from lentils and barley flour.
- Easy to make: this recipe only requires simple ingredients, minimal prep work and 45 minutes of cooking time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- Red onion
- Garlic cloves
- Celery stalks
- Vegetable broth
- Lentils (green or brown)
- Tsampa (roasted barley flour) or any other gluten-free whole grain flours like quinoa/oatmeal/millet/buckwheat etc..
-Spices (Turmeric powder , Paprika Powder , Cumin Powder )
- Bay leaves,
Keep in mind you can easily modify the amount of each ingredient according to your taste preference.
How To Make This Recipe
- Start by washing all vegetables.
- Next,chop onions,gargilc,carrtos,and celery into small pieces.
- Heat some oil in a large pot over medium heat.Add onions and garlic,stirring occasionally till the onion become soft an aromatic.
- Add carrots and celery into pot,give everything another stir,add turmeric powder,paprika cumin spice powders,salt,bay leaves.Stir until combined then pour vegetable broth.Turn up fire until boils then reduce heat cover with lid .Simmer around five minutes Cooked .
- Rinse green lentils under running water then add them to the pot. Bring everything to boil again, and reduce heat into low.Simmer ten minutes.
- Add in tsampa (or any other gluten-free whole grain flours like quinoa/oatmeal/millet/buckwheat etc) using a whisk.Give it another good stir so there are no clumps and the flour is well mixed Then simmer for 20-25mins until thickened.
- Remove bay leaves from soup at this point.Ladle your soup into bowls, garnished with some fresh herbs if desired.Enjoy!
Cooking Time and Temperature Guidelines
To prepare this recipe, you’ll need approximately 45 to 50 minutes of cook time.
- If you want a creamier consistency ,add in dairy free milk or blended cashew nuts after adding in tsampa .
- For added flavor,adding diced potatoes or crushed tomatoes on top before serving can improve the taste.
This recipe has already plenty of flavors but for more seasoning options add black/white pepper,chilli flakes .
- You can easily adjust seasonings according to your personal preference.
- Try experimenting with different spices and herbs such as thyme,basil,parsley etc..
-To make it more satiating one can add cooked chickpeas,tofu cubes also.
Recommended Tools to Make This Recipe:
To Sum Up: The Recipe’s Biggest Takeaway
This hearty vegetarian soup is simple-to-make yet richly flavorful dish that combines vegetables,lentils and tsampa( roasted barley flour). It’s packed with plant-based protein making it both healthy and satisfying.
Sure, here are 3 popular FAQs with answers for ‘Delicious Tsampa Soup Recipe: A Hearty Vegetarian Delight’ recipe:
Q1. What is tsampa, and where can I buy it?
A1. Tsampa is a roasted barley flour that is commonly used in Tibetan cuisine. You can find tsampa at specialty stores or online retailers that carry Tibetan ingredients. If you cannot find tsampa, you can substitute it with other flours like whole wheat or all-purpose flour.
Q2. Can I make this soup ahead of time?
A2. Yes! This soup reheats well and tastes great the next day too. To store the leftovers, let the soup cool to room temperature before transferring it to an airtight container and refrigerating it for up to 4 days.
Q3. Can I modify this recipe to be gluten-free?
A3. Yes! To make the recipe gluten-free, use a gluten-free flour instead of tsampa (such as rice flour, millet flour, cornstarch) and replace regular soy sauce with tamari sauce- which is often made without gluten-containing ingredients.To ensure any other added ingredients are free of gluten as well (like vegetable stock), please carefully read its label before using in your cooking process.
I hope these answers help!