This vegetarian Tom Kha soup is a Thai-inspired dish that is perfect for cold weather. It features the warmth of coconut milk, the tanginess of lime, and the spicy kick of chili peppers. The recipe comes from AddM3, a plant-based food blog featuring tasty and healthful recipes that cater to vegan and vegetarian diets.
- Coconut oil
- Shiitake mushrooms
- Red bell pepper
- Garlic cloves
- Fresh ginger
- Lemongrass stalks or lemongrass paste
- Vegetable broth
- Lime juice
- Soy sauce or tamari
- Maple syrup
- Full-fat canned coconut milk
- Thai chilies or red pepper flakes
- Cilantro leaves
- Heat up coconut oil in a large pot.
- Add sliced shiitake mushrooms, garlic, grated ginger, diced red bell pepper, and chopped lemongrass stalks (or lemongrass paste) to the pot.
- Cook until fragrant.
- Then add veggie broth , lime juice , soy sauce/tamari ，maple syrup ，and full-fat canned coconut milk . Bring it to boil.
- Reduce heat simmering about 10 minutes until veggies are tenderly cooked through.
6.Add sliced Thai chilies/red pepper flake according to your preference .
7.Serve hot garnished with cilantro leaves
Cooking time and Temperature Guidelines
Estimated preparation time is around 15 minutes while cooking takes approximately 25 minutes at medium heat.
● Use fresh ingredients where possible for optimal flavor.
● To make this recipe gluten-free use tamari instead of soy sauce which contains wheat.
For those who prefer milder flavors omit the optional chili peppers from the soup or for those that enjoy a more spicy taste feel free to add in extra chilies.
Recommended Tools to Make this Recipe:
- A large pot
- A chopping board
- A sharp knife
This vegetarian Tom Kha soup recipe is hot, creamy, and perfect for cold weather. It features coconut milk, lime juice, ginger, lemongrass stalks (or paste), and Thai chilies/red pepper flakes for added spice. Overall it’s an easy-to-make dish with a rich flavor that will warm you up on even the coldest of days!
Here are three popular FAQs with answers for the article “Cozy Up with This Easy Vegetarian Tom Kha Soup Recipe!” from AddM3:
Q: Is this Tom Kha soup recipe vegan?
A: Yes, this recipe is vegan. It uses vegetable broth and omits traditional non-vegan ingredients like fish sauce and shrimp that are commonly found in Tom Kha soup.
Q: Can I make adjustments to the spiciness level of the soup?
A: Absolutely! The spiciness of the soup can be adjusted according to personal preference. If you prefer a milder flavor, reduce or omit the chili paste or use less ginger. On the other hand, if you love spicy food, feel free to add more chili paste or fresh chilies.
Q: Can I use different vegetables in this soup?
A: Yes! While this recipe calls for carrots and shiitake mushrooms, other vegetables like bell peppers, zucchini, broccoli florets or snow peas would work well too. Just keep in mind that some veggies may require longer cooking times than others.