If you’re looking for a warm, comforting dish that’s perfect for chilly autumn or winter days, this hearty butternut squash chili is just the ticket. Made with wholesome ingredients and bursting with flavor, it’s sure to become a favorite in your household.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper,diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper,diced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash
-1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
-1 can(14 oz ) kidney beans,rinsed and drained
-2 cups vegetable broth
Step-by-step guide on how to make the recipe:
- In a large pot over medium heat,sauté onions until soft.
- Add garlic,jalapeno and red bello peppers.Cook for another minute,
- Mix in chili powder, smoked paprika,and seasoning.Add ButternuSquash cubes,stir well.
- Pour in crushed tomatoes,kidney beans,and broth. Stir everything together.
- Cover and bring to boil.Then lower the heat,enjoying minimal simmering.Stir occasionally during cooking time.
Cooking Time: Approximately one hour
Temperature Guidelines: Medium Heat
Here are some helpful tips to ensure that your butternut squash chili turns out perfectly every time:
- For added flavor, try roasting the butternut squash cubes before adding them to the chili. This will give them an even deeper caramelized flavor!
- Don’t be afraid to adjust the seasonings according to your preferences. If you like things spicier, add more chili powder or jalapeño peppers. If you prefer things milder, reduce the amount of spices.
- Adding a dollop of vegan sour cream or shredded vegan cheese on top can take this dish to the next level.
Here are some seasoning options that you can try out with your Butternut Squash Chili:
- Smoked Paprika
- Cayenne Pepper
- Garlic Powder
Recommended Tools to Make this Recipe:
While making this recipe, these tools will come in handy:
- A chef’s knife and cutting board for chopping vegetables.
- A large pot for cooking the chili.
- A wooden spoon for stirring.
To sum up: This hearty butternut squash chili is a perfect meal that’s both filling and nutritious. With aromatic spices, tender butternut squash chunks, tangy tomatoes and beans cooked to perfection – it is sure to become a favorite autumn/winter classic in your household.
Q: Can this butternut squash chili be made ahead of time?
A: Yes, the great thing about this recipe is that it actually tastes better the next day! You can make it ahead of time and refrigerate it for up to 3-4 days or freeze for longer storage. Just reheat gently when ready to serve.
Q: Is this butternut squash chili vegan-friendly?
A: Yes, absolutely! All the ingredients used in this recipe are plant-based and vegan-friendly. The recipe also contains plenty of protein and fiber from beans, making it a filling and nutritious meal option.
Q: Can I substitute different types of beans in this butternut squash chili?
A: Of course! You can use any type of cooked bean you like or have on hand – pinto beans, kidney beans, chickpeas or black beans would all work well in this recipe. If you’re using canned beans, be sure to rinse them thoroughly before adding them to the pot.