Are you a fan of creamy, spicy soups with bold flavors? Look no further than this vegetarian laksa soup recipe! Inspired by the Malaysian dish, this coconut curry soup is loaded with veggies and bursting with flavor.
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. ginger, grated
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- Juice of one lime
- One can full-fat coconut milk
- Salt to taste
For the spice paste:
-2 lemongrass stalks (bottom part only)
-5 dried red chilis soaked in hot water for about an hour (or sub fresh chilies)
-6 shallots or small onions peeled and roughly chopped
-6 garlic cloves
-2 inches galangal root peeled and roughly chopped (sub ginger if unavailable)
-2 tablespoons coriander seeds
-1 teaspoon cumin seeds
-4 candlenuts or macadamia nuts (optional but adds creaminess)
- For the spice paste: Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Heat up a tablespoon of coconut oil over medium heat in a pot or wok.
- Add diced onion and cook until softened.
- Add minced garlic and grated ginger to the pot/wok; stir-fry until fragrant.
- Add sliced mushrooms an bell pepper; stir-fry briefly.
- Stir in the spice mixture; fry for another minute or two, stirring well to ensure spices are evenly distributed throughout mixture.
- Pour veggie broth into pot/wok; bring to boil then reduce heat slightly so it simmers gently for another 10 – 15 minutes, lid on.
- Add lime juice, then one can of coconut milk; stir through gently (don’t let it boil).
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
Cooking Time and Temperature Guidelines:
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 30 minutes
- Soak dried red chilis in hot water to make them more pliable before processing with other spice paste ingredients.
- For a thicker soup, add an extra tablespoon or two of the spice mixture.
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Fresh basil leaves
- Thinly sliced red chili peppers
Recommended Tools to Make this Recipe:
- Food processor or blender
This Vegetarian Laksa Soup recipe is packed with flavor from aromatic spices and creamy coconut milk that will leave you feeling satisfied and comforted. If you love trying world cuisine recipes, this easy-to-follow laksa soup recipe is definitely worth adding to your list!
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes! This recipe can be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Enjoy leftovers as a quick and easy lunch or dinner throughout the week.
Can I substitute different ingredients if I don’t have them on hand?
Absolutely! This recipe is customizable based on your taste preferences and what you have available in your pantry. For example, if you don’t have red curry paste, you could use green curry paste or substitute with a combination of spices like cumin, coriander, and turmeric. Similarly, if you don’t have rice noodles, you can use another type of noodle or even spiralized vegetables like zucchini or sweet potato.
Is this recipe gluten-free?
The base broth for this laksa soup recipe is gluten-free; however, some additional ingredients may contain gluten depending on the brand used (such as soy sauce). If following a strict gluten-free diet, be sure to check all ingredient labels carefully and choose certified gluten-free options where possible.