Lebanese Lentil Soup: A Wholesome Delight
This delicious, wholesome Lebanese lentil soup recipe is perfect for vegetarians who seek a hearty and flavorful meal. The dish is made with simple, healthy ingredients and exudes an aromatic blend of spices that creates a warm and delightful flavor.
- 1 cup brown or green lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Follow these easy instructions to prepare the soup:
- Begin by sautéing the onions in a large pot over medium-high heat until they become translucent.
- Add minced garlic to the pot and simmer for about one more minute.
- Next, add vegetable broth with water into the pot along with lentils.
- Bring everything to boil then reduce heat to low.
- Stir in tomato paste, cumin powder, paprika powders as well as salt & pepper according to your taste preferences.
- Cover the pot let it simmer on low heat till you notice that your lentils have tenderized (which could take up to an hour). Be sure always stir it occasionally while cooking.
Pro tip: You can thicken your lentil soup by puréeing some of the cooked vegetables before serving.
Cooking time: Approximately one hour
Cooking temperature: Medium-low
Consider these tips when preparing this recipe:
- Make sure you thoroughly rinse your lentils before adding them into your soup just like any other ingredient!
- Any additional leftover vegetables like carrots or celery would also be worth considering to finely chop and add them into this recipe as they will help enhance its taste even more.
- Serve this delicious soup with a dash of freshly squeezed lemon juice on top.
This recipe is quite versatile, so if you prefer a different flavor from what’s listed above, here are some seasoning options that might work well with this soup:
- Dash of cinnamon and bay leaves
- Curry powder and coriander
- Ground turmeric
- Large pot with lid
- Wooden spoon for stirring
To Sum Up:
This Lebanese lentil soup is an easy-to-follow recipe that uses simple ingredients to create a hearty, flavorful meal perfect for vegetarians. With the combination of aromatic spices, sautéed onions & garlic, it packs a punch while still remaining wholesome.
Can I make this soup ahead of time?
Yes, you can definitely make this lentil soup ahead of time and store it in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 4-5 days. Reheat the soup on the stove over low heat until it’s warmed through before serving.
Can I freeze this lentil soup recipe?
Yes, you can freeze this lentil soup recipe! Allow the soup to cool completely before transferring it to freezer-safe containers or bags. Label them with the date and store them flat in your freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat frozen lentil soup, thaw it overnight in your fridge then gently warm it up over low heat on your stove in a saucepan.
What makes this Lebanese lentil soup wholesome?
This Lebanese lentil soup is wholesome because it’s made from scratch using simple ingredients such as onions, garlic, carrots, celery and red split-lentils which are rich sources of protein and fiber that help keep you feeling full longer while providing essential nutrients such as iron, zinc and magnesium. The spices like cumin add flavor while also providing some antioxidants that support health overall. Plus, it’s an easy vegetarian option that packs lots of flavour into each bowl!