Are you looking for a healthy, plant-based twist on the classic burger? Look no further than this ultimate veggie smash burger recipe! Packed with flavor and nutrients, these burgers are sure to satisfy even the pickiest eaters.
- 1 can of chickpeas (15oz), drained and rinsed
- 1 cup of cooked quinoa
- ½ cup of raw walnuts
- ½ cup of old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- Juice from one lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a food processor, pulse together the chickpeas, cooked quinoa, walnuts, oats until well combined.
- Add in the chopped onion and minced garlic along with salt & pepper to taste. Pulse again until everything is combined.
- Remove mixture from processor and shape into four patties.
- Heat up a grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat your outdoor grill.
- Cook each patty on both sides for about six minutes or until golden brown in color.
- Be careful not to overcook the burgers as they may become dry.
- Make sure all ingredients are well combined before shaping into patties to ensure they hold their shape during cooking.
Feel free to add your favorite seasoning combinations such as cumin powder or smoked paprika root powder for an extra kick.
A good quality food processor will make prep time easy while costing less than $100 USD..
Cooking Time & Temperature Guidelines
Cook each patty on both sides for about six minutes over medium-high heat or until golden brown in color.
This ultimate veggie smash burger recipe offers a healthy and delicious alternative to traditional burgers while being packed full of nutrients. It’s perfect for vegans, vegetarians or anyone looking to add more plant-based options into their diet.
Q: Can I make this recipe gluten-free?
A: Yes! The recipe calls for breadcrumbs, but you can easily substitute gluten-free breadcrumbs or ground oats to make it gluten-free. Also, be sure to use a gluten-free bun if desired.
Q: Is there a way to add more protein to the burger patty?
A: Absolutely! You can add cooked quinoa, lentils or chickpeas to your patties for an extra dose of protein. Alternatively, try serving the burgers on a bed of leafy greens topped with slices of avocado or hummus as another source of plant-based protein.
Q: Can I freeze these burgers?
A: Yes! After shaping the burger patties, place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze them until solid before transferring the frozen patties into freezer bags or containers for long-term storage (good up to 3 months). When ready to cook, thaw in the fridge overnight before cooking on medium-low heat until heated through.
I hope this helps!