Are you a fan of Korean cuisine and looking for a new way to incorporate tofu into your diet? This Korean Tofu Soup recipe is the perfect dish to add some variety to your meals. With spicy broth, tender tofu, and fresh vegetables, this soup is comforting and flavorful.
- 1 package (14 oz.) firm or extra-firm tofu
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or water)
- 1 tbsp Korean red pepper flakes (gochugaru)
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce or tamari
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: chopped scallions and chili peppers for garnish
- Cut the tofu into small cubes.
- In a pot over medium heat, sauté the onions and garlic until fragrant.
- Add the vegetable broth (or water), gochugaru, soy sauce or tamari into the pot.
- Bring it to a boil then reduce heat slightly.
- Gently stir in tofu cubes and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper as needed.
- Once ready serve hot with garnishes such as chopped scallion greens or chili peppers on top!
Cooking Time & Temperature Guidelines
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: around15 minutes
Total time: approximately25 minutes
The soup should be cooked on medium-low heat for about ten minutes after bringing it to boiling point before adding in cubed tofu.
- Use firm or extra-firm tofu so that it doesn’t break apart while cooking.
- Adjust spice level based on personal preference by adding more or less red pepper flakes.
- For an even heartier meal add in some noodles, rice cakes, or egg.
If you want to experiment with different flavors, here are some options:
* Add in sliced mushrooms or baby spinach for added nutrients.
* Use miso paste instead of soy sauce/tamari for a deeper umami flavor.
* Try adding ginger or lemongrass for a zesty twist.
Recommended Tools to Make this Recipe
- Cutting Board
- Chef’s knife
To sum up: This Korean Tofu Soup recipe is easy and quick to make. The spicy broth complemented by the tender tofu and fresh vegetables makes it a perfect meal option.
What is Korean Tofu Soup (Soondubu Jjigae), and what makes it unique?
Answer: Korean Tofu Soup, also known as Soondubu Jjigae, is a spicy soup made from soft tofu, seafood or meat broth, vegetables, and gochugaru (Korean chili flakes). It’s a popular comfort food in Korea that’s enjoyed year-round but especially during cold weather. The soup’s uniqueness comes from the delicate texture of the silken tofu and the bold spiciness of the broth.
Can I make this recipe vegetarian/vegan?
Answer: Yes! You can easily adapt this recipe to be vegetarian or vegan by using vegetable broth instead of seafood or meat-based broths. Simply skip any meat or seafood ingredients called for in the recipe – like chicken breast or shrimp – and swap out any anchovy sauce for soy sauce.
How spicy is this soup?
Answer: This depends on your personal preference and how much gochugaru you use in your recipe! Traditionally, Soondubu Jjigae is meant to be quite spicy – around 2-3 tablespoons of red pepper flakes per serving – but you can adjust according to your taste buds by adding more or less spice. Additionally, if you prefer milder flavors you can omit certain ingredients such as kimchi which adds extra heat to the dish