This vegetarian spaghetti bolognese recipe is a delicious, hearty, and wholesome twist on the classic Italian dish. Made with protein-packed lentils and a variety of flavorful veggies, it’s a satisfying meal that will leave you feeling full and nourished.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s packed with plant-based protein from lentils.
- The combination of vegetables gives each bite added texture and flavor.
- This recipe is perfect for meal prep as it can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge or freezer.
- 1 pound spaghetti noodles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms (any kind), finely diced or processed in food processor
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Red pepper flakes if desired
For Tomato Sauce:
1 can crushed tomatoes (28oz)
⅓ cup tomato paste
⅓ cup water
½ teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon dried oregano
Salt & pepper to taste
How To Make This Recipe
Step One: Prep Work
Start by prepping all your vegetables – chopping onions into small pieces, mincing garlic cloves. Dice/Process carrots into smaller pieces then chop/crush/process mushrooms.
Cook the pasta according to package instructions until al dente.
Step Two: Making of Tomato Sauce
While Pasta Cooking prepare Tomato sauce by adding everything listed under “Tomato Sauce” section in ingredients list. Bring sauce to boil over low heat while stirring occasionally . Once done let it simmer on low heat while switching off burner once the pasta gets boiled/cooked later .
Step Three : Prepare Spaghetti Bolognese
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic, cook until fragrant or onions become translucent.
- Add chopped carrots and celery, cooking for about 5 minutes or till they turn soft.
- Next add processed mushroom . Stirring occasionally continue to cook mixture for about 10 minutes .
- Once the sauce is ready remove it from burner and keep it aside .
Step Four : Mix Spaghetti With Tomato Sauce & Veggie
Add cooked pasta (reserve 1/2 cup of its boiling water) into the tomato sauce cooker where prepared tomato sauce was kept earlier. Then add prepared carrot-celery-mushroom mix we made in step three into this pot as well , let everything mix together properly over low-medium heat by stirring them several times . After mixing all together check seasoning and adjust according to tasle before turning off burner. In case needed you can use reserved pasta water here.
Cooking Time and Temperature Guidelines
Cooking time: Approximately 30 – 40 minutes
Temperature guidelines: Medium heat
- Make sure you chop/process vegetables really finely so that they mimic the texture of meat bolognese.
- Don’t forget to reserve some boiling water from the spaghetti noodles to add moisture if needed later while preparing dish.
Add red pepper flakes during cooking process or sprinkle on top when serving if you like your food with a little extra kick.
To make this recipe vegan-friendly, substitute maple syrup or agave nectar for honey used as sweetener sometimes when making homemade Tomato Sauce
Can easily be doubled up in size! Simply increase ingredient quantities accordingly.
Recommended Tools To Make This Recipe
Food processor/chopper would help efficiently dice mushrooms without using knife .
To Sum Up:
With lentils delivering protein instead of meat topping on classic bologna recipe and veggies providing the crunch, texture and flavour, this Veggie Spaghetti bolognese is a wholesome , hearty meatless meal that can be made ahead of time or quickly for dinner.
Sure! Here are three FAQs with answers for ‘Hearty Vegetarian Spaghetti Bolognese: A Wholesome Twist on a Classic!’ recipe from AddM3:
Q1. Can I substitute the lentils with another protein source?
A: Yes, you can substitute lentils with other plant-based protein sources such as chickpeas, black beans or crumbled tofu to make this recipe.
Q2. How long will this spaghetti bolognese keep in the fridge?
A: This spaghetti bolognese will keep well covered in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days. You can also freeze it for up to 1 month in an airtight container.
Q3. Can I make this recipe gluten-free?
A: Absolutely! To make this recipe gluten-free, simply use your favorite gluten-free pasta instead of regular spaghetti and double-check that all other ingredients used are certified gluten-free as well.
I hope these answers were helpful!