Looking for a new plant-based recipe to try? These vegetarian koftas are packed with flavor and are easy to make. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Additional olive oil for frying
- Start by cooking the brown rice according to package instructions. Set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, pulse the chickpeas until they form a paste-like texture.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat and sauté onions until translucent (about five minutes). Add garlic next and cook for an additional minute.
- Mix together the chickpea paste with your cooked brown rice in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in the sautéed onions and garlic into the mixture.
- Add parsley, cumin, salt & pepper into this mixture as per taste; mix well again.*
- Shape them into small balls (koftas) – about two tablespoons each ball – using your hands or spoon.
Cooking Time & Temperature Guidelines:
8 Preheat oven to (375°F/190°C).
9 Place rolled Kofta’s on baking sheet lined with parchment paper or lightly oiled baking tray.
10 Bake around 25 minutes till crisp golden brown outside.
If you find that your kofta mixture is too wet after adding all of ingredients then chill it for at least thirty minutes in fridge before shaping them into balls.
Make sure that you flip these koftas halfway through the baking process to ensure that they cook evenly.
These koftas go well with a variety of dips, sauces, and seasonings. Consider trying them with:
- Tzatziki sauce
- Harissa sauce
- Tahini dressing
Recommended Tools to Make this Recipe:
A food processor or blender can be helpful for the chickpea paste. Additionally, it may be handy to have parchment paper on hand for lining your baking sheet.
This easy vegetarian kofta recipe uses simple ingredients but is full of flavor. The combination of brown rice and chickpeas gives it a substantial texture while also packing in plant-based protein. Bake these flavorful balls in oven at 375°F/190°C for around 25 minutes till crisp golden brown outside.Serve warm alongside some tzatziki or harissa sauce – enjoy!
What can I serve the vegetarian kofta with?
Answer: Vegetarian kofta pairs well with many different dishes and sides. Some popular options include serving it over rice or quinoa, alongside a salad or roasted vegetables, or in a pita pocket with hummus and veggies.
Can these be made ahead of time?
Answer: Yes, you can make the vegetarian kofta balls ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator for up to a few days before cooking. You can also freeze uncooked kofta balls for up to 3 months and defrost them before cooking.
Can I use a substitute for breadcrumbs in this recipe?
Answer: Yes, you could use almond flour, oat flour or chickpea flour instead of breadcrumbs as a gluten-free option. You could also use crushed cornflakes or crushed crackers if you don’t have breadcrumbs on hand.
I hope this helps!