If you’re looking for a new flavourful vegetarian recipe to try out, look no further than this delicious Persian dish. Made with simple ingredients and bursting with fragrant spices, it’s sure to become one of your go-to recipes in no time.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Rich in flavour: Filled with aromatic spices like cinnamon, cumin, and turmeric.
- Nutritious: Packed full of healthy veggies and plant protein.
- Easy to make: Simple preparation process that won’t take up too much time.
Here is everything you will need to make this delicious curry:
- Olive oil
- Garlic cloves
- Butternut squash
How To Make This Recipe
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large saucepan or Dutch oven.
- Add chopped onions and sauté until they start to brown.
- Mix garlic cloves into onions; add butternut squash, carrots and cauliflower florets into the pan. Cook the vegetables for about 5 minutes until slightly softened.
- Pour tinned tomatoes into vegetable mixture; stir thoroughly before adding chickpeas (drained) and vegetable stock into the pan. Let it come to a boil then reduce heat cover the pot tightly with its lid.simmer over low heat for about 25 minutes until vegetables are tender yet still retain their shape.
5.Within these twenty-five minutes set aside some of pomegranate seeds for garnishing purposes only,
6.Mix all five spices (cumin, coriander,turmeric,cinnamon and ginger) into vegetable mixture; let it simmer for about 5 more minutes.
- Once the dish is cooked take off heat, add seasoning if needed to taste, and garnish with fresh pomegranate seeds before serving.
Cooking Time and Temperature Guidelines
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 30 minutes
- Total cook time: 45 minutes
- Be sure to drain your chickpeas completely before adding them in order to keep the consistency of the curry thick.
- Add a dash of honey or maple syrup to balance out the tanginess of the tinned tomatoes (if desired).
- Cut all vegetables into similar shapes in order for them to cook evenly at same pace.
This recipe can be easily customized based on your preferred level of spiciness – simply increase or decrease each spice’s measurement accordingly.
- You can substitute any veggies you have available in place cauliflower like broccoli florets, diced potatoes or even green beans!
- If you prefer chunkier curries reduce vegetable broth by half and feel free break tinned tomatoes apart by hand while stirring.
3 .If reheating leftovers add additional vegetable broth when necessary as curry may dry up after storage.
## Recommended Tools To Make This Recipe:
– Large saucepan or Dutch oven
– Cutting board
– Sharp knife
– Measuring spoons
## To Sum Up:
This Persian vegetarian curry is an easy-to-make, flavourful dish that combines healthy veggies with aromatic spices for a nutritious meal that will satisfy your taste buds!
Are Persian vegetarian recipes difficult to make?
No, most Persian vegetarian recipes are straightforward to prepare and use simple ingredients that you can find in your local grocery store. Many of the dishes involve simmering vegetables, grains, or beans in flavorful spices and herbs to create hearty stews or soups.
What types of spices are commonly used in Persian vegetarian cooking?
Persian cuisine is known for its complex flavor profiles that often feature a blend of aromatic herbs and spices. Some common seasonings used in vegetarian dishes include saffron, turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, cardamom, rosewater, and dried limes (loomi). These spices add depth and complexity to the dishes while enhancing the natural flavors of vegetables.
Can I modify traditional Persian meat-based recipes into plant-based versions?
Yes! Many traditional Persian meat-based dishes can easily be modified into plant-based versions by swapping out the animal protein for beans or lentils. For example, instead of using beef or lamb in ghormeh sabzi (a herb stew), you can use chickpeas or kidney beans as a protein source. Similarly,you could replace ground beef with mushrooms when making kofta kebabs.Plenty of options like this exist which allow you take a non-vegetarian recipe and convert it into a delicious vegan one while still retaining all the original autheticity