Looking for a hearty and satisfying vegetarian dish? This delicious vegetarian lasagne recipe from BBC Food is sure to hit the spot. Made with layers of pasta, spinach, mushrooms, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, and tomato sauce, this recipe packs in flavor and nutrition.
- 12 lasagne sheets
- 250g frozen spinach
- oil (for frying)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 300g mushrooms (sliced)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 750ml tomato passata
- pinch caster sugar
- handful fresh basil leaves
- For the white sauce:
- knob butter
- plain flour
- pint milk
- freshly grated nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 5/190°C/fan oven160°C.
- Cook the lasagna sheets according to package instructions.
- In a pan over medium heat,
fry onions until they turn golden brown;
Add garlic and mushroom slices,
Fry them for another five minutes or so,
Season with salt and black pepper.
- Take off heat when finished cooking.
30 minutes preparation +60 mins cooking
- Be careful not to overcook your pasta as it can become too soft once baked.
- If you’re short on time, use store-bought tomato sauce instead of making your own.
- Add dried oregano or thyme to your tomato sauce for extra flavor.
- Sprinkle some red pepper flakes on top for a spicy kick.
- Large non-stick pan/pot – Suitable for sautéing vegetables in large portions without burning them.
To sum up: This Delicious Vegetarian Lasagne is a hearty and satisfying dish that packs in flavor and nutrition with layers of pasta, spinach, mushrooms, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, and tomato sauce.
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare this vegetarian lasagne ahead of time and store it in the fridge or freezer until ready to bake. To prepare ahead of time, assemble the lasagne in a baking dish as directed but do not bake it. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and foil (if freezing) and store in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 2 months. When ready to cook, follow the baking instructions from step 5.
Can I substitute other vegetables in this recipe?
Absolutely! One of the great things about this recipe is its flexibility when it comes to ingredient substitutions. Feel free to swap out any vegetables in this recipe for your favorites or what’s available seasonally. Some ideas include spinach, kale, zucchini, eggplant, sweet potato, mushrooms – anything goes!
How can I make this recipe vegan-friendly?
To make this lasagne vegan-friendly, simply omit the mozzarella cheese and replace it with a plant-based cheese alternative (such as vegan mozzarella). Additionally, choose a vegan pasta brand that does not contain eggs (most dry pasta is already vegan). The rest of ingredients listed should be naturally vegan-friendly; just double-check labels to ensure they don’t contain any animal products like dairy or honey.