This recipe for vegetarian field peas is a perfect addition to any wholesome meal. The earthy flavor and satisfying texture of field peas make them an excellent protein source and a great alternative to meat.
- 1 pound dried field peas, sorted and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cups vegetable broth or water (plus more as needed)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Note: This recipe requires soaking the field peas overnight. Make sure to plan accordingly.
- Soak the field peas in enough water to cover them by at least two inches overnight.
- Drain the soaked beans and set aside.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, add olive oil until it shimmers.
- Sauté onions until they are translucent then add garlic and peppers.
- Cook vegetables for another three minutes until fragrant.
- Add pre-soaked beans into the pot along with vegetable broth or water plus salt and black pepper as per taste.(add more liquid if necessary).
- Bring mixture up to boiling point before turning heat down low then allow simmering gently around an hour or so till tender yet not mushy.
Cooking Time & Temperature Guidelines:
Cook time: Approximately one hour
Temperature guideline: Medium-low heat
1) If you want your vegetarian field peas creamy like refried beans consistency simply blend half of beans then mix it back into rest of ingredients when you combine everything together while cooking .
2) You can add other vegetables such as carrots,kale,collard greens etcetera which will give this recipe added nutrients and depth of flavor.
- Add cumin and chili powder for a Tex-Mex twist.
- A pinch of smoked paprika will add a smoky flavor dimension to the dish.
- Thyme, rosemary or bay leaves are excellent options if you want an earthy taste.
Recommended Tools to Make this Recipe:
The following tools may be helpful when making vegetarian field peas:
– Large pot or Dutch oven
– Measuring cups and spoons
To Sum Up:
This recipe for Vegetarian Field Peas is perfect for anyone looking for a plant-based protein source that is filling, delicious, and satisfying. The steps are easy to follow, and the ingredients can be easily modified based on preference. Try seasoning them with your favorite herbs and spices!
Q1. Can I substitute dried peas for canned field peas in this recipe?
A: Yes, you can substitute dried peas for canned field peas in this recipe. However, keep in mind that dried peas take longer to cook than canned ones. Soak the dried peas overnight before cooking them according to package directions until tender.
Q2. How long will this dish keep in the refrigerator?
A: This dish will keep well covered and refrigerated for up to 4 days.
Q3. What is a good side dish to serve with these vegetarian field peas?
A: These vegetarian field peas can be served on top of rice or as a side dish alongside roasted vegetables such as sweet potatoes or broccoli. A simple green salad dressed with vinaigrette would also complement these flavorful and wholesome beans nicely.