Looking for a warm and satisfying meal to enjoy on chilly days? Look no further than this hearty chickpea soup recipe. Packed with protein, fiber, and flavorful spices, this plant-based soup is sure to fill you up and leave you feeling cozy.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 6 cups vegetable broth or water
- 3 cans chickpeas (15 ounces each), drained and rinsed
- One can diced tomatoes (14.5 ounces)
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
2. Add the onion and sauté until it becomes translucent.
3. Stir in garlic, cumin powder, dried oregano leaves, smoked paprika spice blend , red pepper flakes(if using), salt & pepper . Cook for another minute.
4.Add vegetable broth or water along with canned chickpeas & diced tomatoes , bring it all to boil over high heat then reduce simmer covered for around five minutes .
5.Remove from heat once done cooking; let cool slightly before serving hot .
Prep time:10 minutes |Cook time:20 minutes
Here are some handy tips to make your chickpea soup more delicious:
– For added texture and flavor variation try adding some leafy greens like kale or spinach before serving!
– Don’t skip the spices! They’re what give this soup its rich flavor profile.
– Want to make this recipe even more filling? Add some cooked grains like farro or quinoa to the soup before serving.
- Fresh Herbs such as cilantro, parsley
- A squeeze of lemon or lime juice for extra tanginess
Recommended Tools to Make this Recipe:
- Large pot
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cutting board and knife
In summary, this chickpea soup recipe is a hearty and comforting meal perfect for chilly days. It features simple ingredients that are inexpensive and easy to find at any grocery store, along with warm spices that add depth of flavor. With just a few steps required in the preparation process, you’ll be enjoying a bowl of vegan comfort food in no time!
Sure, here are three popular FAQs with answers for “Cozy up with our hearty chickpea soup recipe”:
Can I use canned chickpeas instead of dried ones?
Absolutely! Using canned chickpeas can save time and effort in this recipe. You’ll need to drain and rinse the canned chickpeas before using them, but otherwise, follow the recipe as written.
How long does this soup keep in the fridge?
Stored in an airtight container or covered tightly with plastic wrap or foil, this soup should keep well in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. To reheat, slowly warm it over medium-low heat on the stove until heated through.
Can I freeze this soup?
Yes! This is a great recipe to make ahead and freeze for future meals. Allow the soup to cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container or freezer-safe bag (make sure you remove as much air as possible). It will keep well frozen for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, thaw overnight in the fridge then reheat on low heat on stovetop until heated through.