Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are a versatile and nutritious legume that can be used in a wide range of vegetarian dishes. From salads to soups, stews to curries, chickpeas add texture and protein to any meal. Here are 50+ delicious chickpea recipes that are perfect for easy weeknight meals.
Here is a list of the main ingredients you will need:
- Canned chickpeas
- Olive oil or vegetable oil
- Garlic cloves
- Vegetable broth or water
- Tomatoes (fresh or canned)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Additional ingredients depending on the recipe may include spices such as cumin, paprika, turmeric; vegetables such as carrots, bell peppers, spinach; herbs such as parsley or cilantro; pasta or rice.
- Start by draining and rinsing your canned chickpeas under running water.
- Heat up your olive oil/vegetable oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add diced onions and minced garlic into the pan until they become translucent (around 5 minutes).
- Pour in vegetable broth/water along with tomatoes into the mix.
- Continue stirring occasionally over high heat until liquid boils then reduce heat so it simmers gently for around 10 minutes.
- Stir in your cooked chickpeas at this point before seasoning with salt & black pepper to taste.
7.Serve hot dish alone or mixed with rice/pasta!
Cooking Time and Temperature Guidelines
Preparation time varies depending on the recipe chosen but typically takes no more than 30 – 60 minutes depending on how long it takes for certain steps (e.g., cooking pasta)
A general temperature guideline suggested would be medium-high heat followed by a gentle simmer over medium heat (around 165-175 degrees Fahrenheit).
- To add more flavor to your chickpeas, try roasting them in the oven with some spices such as paprika, cumin or garlic powder.
- If you prefer your chickpeas to be creamier, mash a portion of them using a fork or blender before adding it back into the mixture.
Some additional seasoning options that can be used interchangeably include:
– Red pepper flakes for spice lovers
– Lemon juice/zest for an acidic taste
– Cilantro or parsley for fresh flavor and color
Recommended Tools to Make this Recipe
To make these recipes easier, we recommend having the following tools on hand:
– Large pot or pan
– Wooden spoon/spatula
Chickpea-based vegetarian meals are perfect for quick and easy weeknight dinners. They are full of protein and other essential nutrients while being affordable and easy to prepare. With these 50+ delicious chickpea recipes available, there’s no excuse not to incorporate this legume into your diet!
Q: Are these recipes suitable for vegans?
A: Yes, all of the vegetarian chickpea recipes featured in this collection are vegan-friendly as they do not contain any animal products.
Q: Can I replace canned chickpeas with dried ones?
A: Absolutely! While canned chickpeas are convenient and easy to use, you can always substitute them with an equal amount of cooked dried chickpeas if you prefer. Just be sure to soak the beans overnight and cook according to package instructions before using them in the recipe.
Q: Can I freeze leftovers?
A: Yes! These vegetarian chickpea recipes are great for batch cooking and meal prepping, so feel free to double or triple the quantities as needed. Leftovers can be stored in airtight containers or freezer bags and kept in the freezer for up to 3 months. However, keep in mind that some dishes may have a different texture after being frozen (such as salads), so it’s best to experiment with individual recipes to see what works best for your taste preferences