Kerala cuisine is known for its unique flavours and use of spices. Here are ten delicious vegetarian dinner recipes that showcase the best of Kerala’s culinary traditions.
Why You’ll Love These Recipes
- Authentic Kerala-style flavour profiles
- Hearty, satisfying meals perfect for dinner time
- Features a variety of vegetables and proteins to suit different tastes and dietary needs
Here is an overview of the ingredients you will need for these recipes:
– Veggies: Eggplant, potato, cauliflower, green beans, bell peppers, onion, tomato etc.
– Proteins: Chickpeas (chana), lentils (dal) etc.
– Spices: Cumin seeds, mustard seeds, turmeric powder, coriander powder etc.
– Other: Coconut milk or grated coconut as per recipe requirements
Note: Ingredient lists vary by recipe.
How To Make These Recipes
Instructions on how to make each dish can be found at the links below. Each recipe includes comprehensive instructions with detailed paragraphs:
- Avial – A mixed vegetable curry cooked in a coconut-yoghurt sauce
- Parippu Curry – A simple but flavourful dal made with moong lentils
- Sambar – A spicy-tangy vegetable stew made with tamarind
- Olan – A lightly spiced white pumpkin-green bean soup simmered in coconut milk
- Vegetable Stew – An aromatic stew packed full of fresh veggies simmered in creamy coconut milk
- Beetroot Thoran – Grated beetroot stir-fried with grated coconut & authentic Indian spices
- Kadala Curry – Black chickpea curry made in thick & creamy gravy
- Mushroom Pepper Fry– Sauteed mushrooms coated with pepper-ginger masala
9.Chemmeen Ularthiyathu(Shrimp Stir Fry) – A spicy shrimp dish with onion, tomato & coconut oil
- Dal Fry – Thick lentil soup tempered with spices
Note: Each recipe has its own unique cooking time and temperature guidelines which can be found at the link provided.
- Experiment with different types of vegetables and proteins.
- Use fresh ingredients for optimal flavour.
- Adjust spice levels to your taste preference.
Kerala cuisine is known for its bold flavours. Here are some essential spices you may want to keep on hand:
– Cumin seeds
– Mustard seeds
– Curry leaves
– Turmeric powder
– Coriander powder
Note: Refer to individual recipes on how each should be used in preparation.
Here are some additional tips that will help you ensure success when preparing these dishes:
– Prep all of your ingredients ahead of time so that everything is ready when it’s time to cook.
– Taste frequently and adjust seasoning as needed.
Recommended Tools To Make These Recipes
These recipes can be made using simple kitchen equipment but depending on recipe requirements, a few handy tools to have include:
-Medium sized Pot or Deep Pan
Kerala-style vegetarian dinners pack big authentic Indian flavours into every bite while keeping things healthy and plant-based!
Sure, here are three popular FAQs with answers for “10 Delicious Kerala Style Vegetarian Dinner Recipes”:
1. What are some common ingredients used in Kerala-style vegetarian dinner recipes?
Ans: Some of the common ingredients used in Kerala-style vegetarian dinner recipes include coconut (in various forms such as grated, milk, or oil), curry leaves, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, tamarind paste or kokum (a souring agent), ginger-garlic paste, and a variety of spices such as turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder.
Are these recipes spicy?
Ans: It depends on the recipe and individual taste preferences. Many Kerala-style dishes use spices that add heat to the dish but you can adjust spiciness according to your preference by adding less chili powder or using mild chilies instead of hot ones.
Can I make these dishes ahead of time?
Ans: Yes! Most Kerala-style vegetarian dishes taste even better the next day when their flavors have had more time to meld together. Making them ahead of time is also convenient if you’re hosting a party or want to save time during busy weeknights. You can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days or freeze them for up to 2-3 months; simply reheat them on medium heat before serving with rice or bread.