If you’re looking for a hearty, flavorful soup with a bit of spice, this vegetarian hot and sour soup is perfect. Packed with a variety of vegetables, this soup is both filling and healthy.
- 1/2 cup dried Shiitake mushrooms
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1/2 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1/4 cup frozen corn kernels
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Ginger paste (or grated ginger), to taste
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- Sriracha sauce, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Step One: Prepare the Mushrooms
- Soak the dried shiitakes in boiling water for about 20 minutes until they are rehydrated.
- Drain the mushrooms and reserve the soaking liquid. Remove any tough stems from the mushroom caps.
- Thinly slice the caps crosswise.
Step Two: Make the Broth Base
- In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add garlic and sauté until aromatic for about one minute.
- Add sliced shiitake mushrooms along with reserved soaking liquid.
- Stir in ginger paste/grated ginger/Tamari/Sriracha Sauce/salt/blackpepper/tofu cubes/bell peppers/carrots/frozen corn/heavy cream if desired bring mixture to boil stirring occasionally.
Step Three: Serve!
7.Let simmer covered on low heat for another two minutes until vegetables have slightly softened but still retain some crunch.Serve hot!
This recipe will give you an incredibly delicious spicy-hot flavor base that can be infused into various dishes,making it your new favorite kitchen staple!
Unfortunately, I could not find the specific Spicy Vegetarian Hot and Sour Soup Recipe from Great British Chefs. However, here are three general frequently asked questions with answers about spicy vegetarian hot and sour soup:
Is hot and sour soup vegetarian-friendly?
Answer: Traditional hot and sour soup may contain meat or seafood-based broths. However, there are many variations of the recipe that can be made vegetarian or vegan by using vegetable broth instead of meat-based ones.
How do you make hot and sour soup spicier?
Answer: To make a hot and sour soup spicier, add more chili flakes or fresh chili peppers to taste. You can also add more black pepper for additional heat.
What ingredients are typically used in a hot and sour soup?
Answer: A typical ingredient list for a hot and sour soup includes vegetables such as mushrooms, bamboo shoots, carrots, onions, garlic; seasonings like soy sauce, rice vinegar or cider vinegar; starches such as cornstarch to thicken the broth; spices such as white pepper or black pepper; aromatics like ginger root; protein sources like tofu or seitan (optional).