Are you looking for a creamy and delicious vegetarian cheese recipe? Look no further than this easy-to-make ricotta cheese! Made from only a few simple ingredients, this recipe is perfect for vegans and vegetarians alike.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Quick and easy to make
- Only requires a few simple ingredients
- Versatile – can be used in sweet or savory dishes
- 2 cups of unsweetened non-dairy milk (such as almond, soy, or cashew milk)
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- Salt to taste
How To Make This Recipe
- In a medium-sized pot over medium heat, warm the non-dairy milk until it begins to steam.
- Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice/apple cider vinegar.
- Let sit for 10 minutes until curdled.
- Strain through cheesecloth or a fine mesh strainer.
- Press out any excess liquid with a spatula.
Cooking Time and Temperature Guidelines
N/A – since this is not baked etc., cooking time depends on how long it takes to bring the mixture up to temperature before adding the acid.
- Use freshly-squeezed lemon juice for best results.
- Make sure your non-dairy milk is unsweetened; sweetened options may alter the flavor of the ricotta.
Add herbs like basil or oregano for an Italian-inspired version or mix in honey for a sweeter, dessert-style option!
To make larger batches simply double/triple/quadruple recipe while keeping same ratio between ingredients.
Recommended Tools To Make This Recipe:
Cheesecloth/fine mesh strainer
To Sum Up
This creamy and delicious vegetarian ricotta cheese recipe is quick to make, requires only a few simple ingredients, and can be used in a variety of dishes. Whether you’re vegan or vegetarian, this versatile cheese will soon become a staple in your kitchen!
Q1. What is vegetarian ricotta cheese made of?
A: Vegetarian ricotta cheese is typically made from a combination of tofu and cashews blended with nutritional yeast, lemon juice, garlic powder, and salt. This mixture creates a creamy texture that’s similar to traditional ricotta cheese but without any animal-derived ingredients.
Q2. Can I use store-bought vegan ricotta instead of making it at home?
A: Yes! If you don’t have the time or resources to make homemade vegan ricotta cheese, many grocery stores carry pre-made options that work well in recipes. Just be sure to read the label carefully to ensure that all the ingredients align with your dietary preferences.
Q3. How can I incorporate vegetarian ricotta into my cooking?
A: There are numerous ways to use vegetarian ricotta in your cooking! Some popular ideas include using it as a filling for lasagna or stuffed shells, adding it as a topping for pizza or bruschetta, mixing it into pasta dishes like macaroni and cheese or carbonara sauce, spreading it onto toast or crackers with toppings like tomatoes and basil, or even using it as a dip for veggies like carrots and celery. The possibilities are endless!